Sunday, November 9, 2014

Nick's

As a true Southsider, I love tenderloins.  And I've been advised on countless occasions that Nick's has the best in town.  So, I obviously had to give them a try.  I don't know what took me so long, but finally today was the day!  And now I really don't know what took me so long; Nick's is awesome! 






We arrived at just about 2:45PM to a paper sign on the door advising that they close at 3PM on Sundays.  This must be a fairly new thing for them, as several people came after 3, and were disappointed.   Luckily for us, we were welcomed warmly, even though the closing time was looming so closely. 

Nick's is a seat-yourself kind of place.  I usually hate seating myself.  It mostly feels like that establishment is telling you this is a locals/regulars only place.  However, it was incredibly comfortable at Nick's.  There are flat-screens on all walls, broadcasting NFL games, though not too loudly.  Almost nothing is worse for atmosphere than way too loud TVs/music. 



Our server, Courtney was great.  She was warm and inviting, and rather patient as I am the WORST order-er ever.  Even though I knew what I wanted before I'd even walked in the door: ALL OF THE TENDERLOINS!

To start, we (my aunts Lorraine and Sandy, and cousin Charlene) ordered a half order of onion rings, breaded mushrooms, and cheese curds.

The onions rings were quoted as "juicy, not greasy", and that was exactly the way I'd describe them.  BIG BIG BIG sweet onions in a thick, crunchy breading.  They were really good.



The breaded mushrooms were HUGE.  I love breaded mushrooms more than any one person should, and these were the biggest, and probably the best.  Super juicy and tender, you WILL need a knife to tackle these bad bitches.



The cheese curds were good, but I don't think I'd order them again.  Not because they weren't yummy (they totally were, with a light breading), but because other things on the menu are far better.



Three of us ordered Queen Tenderloins.  I was slightly terrified of ordering a King, but if you're really THAT hungry, by all means.  The tenderloin itself was thick and juicy, while also being crisp and hot.  With my tenderloin, I had pickles and onion with ketchup and mustard (no lettuce or tomato, it's not a damn salad).  Now, I haven't eaten all of the tenderloins in Des Moines, but I'm going on the record here to say that they are the best that I've eaten in town.  Maybe the best I've ever had?

This is maybe the worst picture I could have taken.  I was just pumped to dig into this 'loin!


One of the party ordered a grilled cheese, and though I didn't try it (hello, lactose sensitivity!), it looked full of gooey cheeses of at least three varieties.  Charlene really enjoyed it.





I'd also like to mention that Nick's is incredibly affordable.  Four sodas, three sides, four sandwiches came to $38.00 before tax and tip.

This is one very homey, warm, welcoming, and not to mention tasty place that I'm going to visit again and again. 

Recommend!


Nick's
Address: 1106 Army Post Rd, Des Moines, IA 50315
Phone:(515) 777-2759

No comments:

Post a Comment