Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hole in the Wall at Gas Lamp - Sadly, No Pictures

I don't know how many times I'd meant to go to Hole in the Wall.  Dozens, maybe?  At least as many times as I've been to Gas Lamp.  I love those hottie hipsters who frequent in their skinny jeans and that Lumbersexual combo of beards and flannel.  I usually take in super awesome live music and a Strongbow or two, and consider eating something.

Well, I did for the first time last night.  And, wow.  Wow, you guys.  I don't think I've ever had anything quite as innovative and, quite frankly, fucking delicious as Hole in the Wall.

I agreed to DD, so this is a completely sober recollection how amazing and sophisticated everything I ate really was.  Can I say 'fucking delicious' again?

We ordered the Bologna Bun, two orders of mac and cheese (not for me, I wasn't the drunk one who required carbs) and Brussels sprouts.  Hole in the Wall offers local and organic food, which is something I think we can all get behind.  But it's done so well, it's ridiculous.  I loved it so much, I kind of hated them a lil.

I really wish I'd gotten pics of everything, because it was beautiful.  If I had been presented with it in any other situation (read: not listening to covers of classic rock while middle aged and quite drunk couples danced like teenagers), I would have ever guessed it had come from a tiny kitchen in the Lamp. 

Let me note first, that I don't have the menu in front of me.  I usually do, to reference what I ate and give details.  And since it's such a tiny establishment, they don't have a website.  Facebook only, and the menu changes.  I'm writing everything from what I remember, so don't kill me if I get an ingredient wrong.  'kay?

The Bologna Bun.  That's pretty much all I have the ability to say. Unfortunately, I had to share this with the drunk friends I carted around all night.   Buns come in orders of two or three, and there are three (?? I think!  Again, no menu here) varieties.  House made bologna with a velveeta-like sauce and pickles.  I may have stolen everyone else's pickle.  Fuck those guys.  Pickles, I love you.  It was like eating meat in a cloud of angel tears.

The sprouts came with house made (do I even have to say that anymore? The dude makes everything in house.  He's magic.) sausage, fish caramel, cilantro, and microgreens (?? Fuck, I have a horrible memory).  It was spectacular.  I'm a HUGE fan of B-sprouts, so I had a hunch I was going to like it.  It was salty and savory, everything you could ever want.  I do HATE cilantro, it just tastes like soap to me.  #Genetics.  I reluctantly offered the other a taste of my sprouts.  Very reluctantly.  Because Jesus Hello Kitty Christ.  It was so, so good.

The mac was okay.  I'm sure it would stand up just fine on its own if I hadn't been wowed by the other two dishes.  Maybe it was because they packed so much flavor in the little bites, that the mac seemed bland?  It could have done with a bit of salt after eating the salty sprouts.

I definitely can't wait to figure out the hours, and then visit again.  Maybe the good places are only open for a few hours.  Highland Bakery and South Union Bread have so few hours open, but they're so insanely popular (for good reasons) that it doesn't matter.  So, when the crescent moon is on the horizon, and the narwhal bacons at midnight, be sure to visit Hole in the Wall.

Hole in the Wall at Gas Lamp
1501 Grand Ave
Des Moines, Iowa
 
(512) 716-9119

No comments:

Post a Comment