Sunday, August 31, 2014

High Life Lounge

Nobody doesn't like High Life Lounge.  It's modeled after your Grandpa's stuck-in-the-70s basement rec room.  They serve super homey food, and with El Bait Shop next door, have the best beer selection in the 515.  For real.

I've eaten here dozens of times, but this is the first post I've bothered with.  If you haven't gone, you must.  It's an experience. 

Today, I went for lunch.  Well, my "lunch" is always at 6PM.  So, dinner?  I went.  And the verdict is in, I still love it.

I ordered Meatloaf with sides of mac and cheese (a premium, $1 extra) and mashed potatoes.  Served with a roll and butter.  Sadly, to-go with no drinkies.  I had to go back to work, after all. 

Usually, the High Life Cheeseburger basket is my jam.  In my humble, but burger loving opinion, the best burger in town.  Take that, Z-Burg. It's a 1/4 LB patty, good old American cheese, onions, and pickle.  Add ketchup and mustard.  And crinkle fries.  Perfect.  With a hard cider or Millstream Root Beer on a warm day, patio chillin', that's where it's at.

But the meatloaf called to me.  It was like Gramma made it.  Brown sugary and covered in caramelized ketchup. Tender and flavorful.  It was awesome.  My mashed potatoes were chunky, garlicky, and smothered in a rich brown gravy.  Heavenly.  And the mac? Creamy, satisfying.

Seriously, High Life is one of the best, low-key spots in Des Moines.  It's cheap eats, I spent $10.45 including tax and tip. 

I also shared some of my co-worker's (Hey Laura!) Bacon-Wrapped Tots.  Something I've also had dozens of times, and if you haven't, you're missing out  ON LIFE.  Little nuggets of tater tot, a bit of jalapeno, wrapped in bacon, and covered in melty cheese.  With Ranch dressing.  Oh, my.  So good, I ALWAYS burn my mouth, because I can't wait.  I didn't even get to take a picture.    I also had one of her cold onion strings.  It was awesome, even cold.

If you haven't gone, I don't know what you're waiting for.  It'll probably be a bit busy, and there's always a bit of a wait for the server (who will undoubtedly be a hipster who thinks they're cooler than you), but it's completely worth it.  Trust me.






High Life Lounge
Address: 200 SW 2nd St, Des Moines, IA 50309

No comments:

Post a Comment